Re: Re[2]: Mopar Performance's Muscle

From: Jane or Larry Elliott (elliott@serv.net)
Date: Sat Mar 08 1997 - 01:00:20 EST

I've been trying to keep outta this one, but here's my nickels worth
(inflation and all, ya know). Back in the mid 60's when a lot of youse
guys was not even around, our friends at CC came out with the Ramchargers
with HD Torqueflites that'd suck the doors off of the 4 sp'ds. They'd
just nail 'em off the line and the there was just one long wail as they
hauled the mail down the strip with only the slightest change in note as
they shifted. Everyone bad mouthed the pushbuttons, but they were one
fast way to shift an auto manually.

On the other hand my '92's 5 sp'd shifts slicker than slick when it's
wound up. No power shifting, just wind it up and move the lever to the
right place, never had a missed shift. At pottering around town speeds,
it doesn't shift very quickly at all, but when it's wound up it shifts
very nicely and quickly too, thank you very much.

A good tight auto can be as fast as a good manual, witness the Mercedes
cars and Formula 1 transmissions which are all semiautomatic, they only
use the clutch for starts. All electronic, but with manually controlled
shifting. The way of the future lads, little paddles on the steering
wheel one for up and one for down.

Larry
elliott@serv.net