Re: Bed Liner for 97

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Fri Mar 14 1997 - 10:06:22 EST

> >I get my Black, 5.2L, 5sp, Club Cab, SLT+ tomorrow!!! I want to put a
> >bed liner in to protect the bed. I have heard that this can cause rust
> >and will scratch the paint.

> Speaking of bedliners, I was wondering what your opinions were on rhino
> linings. I really carry very little in the back of my truck, but I carry
> enough that I'd like some protection. I had a bed mat in my ranger and I
> was looking for a bit more than that, but like Ryan said, I don't like what
> the plastic drop in bed liners do to the paint.

  If you're primary concern is to protect the paint in your bed,

your options are pretty much limited to wrapping everything you
stick back there in thick heavy blankets.

  No bedliner option can completely protect the paint, and that
goes double for the spray-in types like Rhino et al. The main
benefit of the spray-in types is that they effectively replace
your paint with a near-impermeable opaque plastic membrane. I
sorta wish Dodge would make a Rhino spray-on body liner. No
more waxing or paint chips!

  FWIW, I have the Dodge drop-in bedliner, am fully aware of what
it's doing to the paint, and frankly don't care. I don't have any
dents in the bed, and that's what matters to me. Personally, I think
the drop-in plastic liners protect against dents better than the
spray-in liners, and that's why I got it.

  Ron