Re: MSD stuff.... -Reply -Reply

From: slemser@compucom.com (Scott Lemser) (slemser@compucom.com)
Date: Thu Mar 27 1997 - 13:00:14 EST

JON WROTE:
>>> Jon Steiger <steiger@ait.fredonia.edu> 03/27/97 11:14am >>>
   Please excuse my obvious ignorance, but what is a cap and what is a
rotor? I'm guessing cap means distributor cap, but what about a rotor?

   An MSD ignition is one of the upgrades I plan to do in the future,
but I want to do it right. I was planning on getting an ignition and
a coil, but it looks like I'll need more than that, eh?

   Thanks!
Jon,
I live by the addage that" there are no stupid questions". It is better to be
perceived as stupid than to actually be. Who is the fool? The man who
refuses to inquire for fear of ridicule, or the man asks for knowledge he
does not have.
By "cap" and "rotor" I refer to the Distributor Cap and Rotor. The rotor
resides beneath the "Cap", mounted on the distributor shaft. It delivers
the spark energy from the coil to each cylinder one at a time via the
distributor cap.
When you purchase your ignition system, regardless of the brand, pick
up the highest quality Cap and Rotor set available along with a new set
of wires. If they are available locally, I recommend Mallory components.
They have re-engineered their parts specifically for use with extreme
high voltage ignition systems. For wires, the best choices for the money
would be the MSD Heli-core or Mallory Sidewinder wires.

Scott <slemser@compucom.com>