Re: K&N clone

From: Jane or Larry Elliott (elliott@serv.net)
Date: Tue Apr 15 1997 - 23:00:02 EDT

When I removed the air cleaner hose from my factory air cleaner can (with
K&N stock replacement) I checked the intake charge temp with my Auto-Xray.
It would go up to 150+ F even driving down the freeway at 70 mph. With
the hose in place the temp was in the 130 F range. With the 2.25x10 inch
K&N in an open Edelbrock the intake charge temp is in the hi 130's to low
140's on the freeway at 70. There is a small increase in sound level when
it's wound up, but there certainly does appear to be a noticeable increase
in performance based on burying my foot in it and leaving people with less
trouble than before. The hole in the throttle body is short and length
has something to do with the amount of gas (air) a hole will pass.

A cowl sucker air box, a la NASCAR, would be nice, but the racket would
likely drive you nuts in short order. I've been thinking of a way to get
cooler air to my K&N clone, and will keep all informed if it works.

Larry, '92, 3.9, 4x4, 5 sp'd, LE, MP SBEC, K&N clone
elliott@serv.net