Re: 318 for '89 Dak

From: J B Cleary (bcleary@interlog.com)
Date: Thu May 08 1997 - 12:10:55 EDT

318 was an option in 89 for the RT so it will fit. Believe motor and trans
mounts are the same and in the right location already (????) Will have to
switch to pusher fan in front of a heavy duty Dakota rad to make room and
forget about any AC if you have it now. Use the wiring harness from the
donor truck/car. This is just bare beginning stuff. You will have to
tackle each problem as it shows up. I put a 327 in my MGB and had a lot of
fun doing it. I'm sure others on this group have much more to contribute.
I'm in the same boat as you with a sick 89 3.9 and a most marvelous A500
tranny on it's second rebuild so please keep us posted if you decide to do
it. I would love to do the same swap but I might wimp out and go with a
Magnum V6 (getting too old for this stuff!).

Brian Cleary

bcleary@interlog.com
----------
> From: AM14@chrysler.com
> To: dakota mail list <dakota@ait.fredonia.edu>
> Subject: 318 for '89 Dak
> Date: Thursday, May 08, 1997 10:56 AM
>
> *** Resending note of 05/08/97 10:36
> To: T0866TO --CLIC Obryan, Tim S DAKOTA --INTERNET
>
> From: Azie Magnusson, CMIS Coordinator
> Subject: 318 for '89 Dak
>
> Has anyone experience with installing a 318/360 in an '89 Dak 4X2
longbed?
> Truck came equipped with 3.9L (sawed off 318) AOD SMEC TBI. I've
already
> reworked the AOD. (BAD NEWS A500) Truck is completely stock except has
a 9"
> FOMOCO car rear. (The 7 1/4 that came in it lasted a mere 85000 mi
 and
> junkyards wanted an arm and a leg for an 8 1/4 replacement. The FOMOCO
car has
> same bolt pattern and there are litterally millions of these
available for
> very little cash.) I would like to upgrade to MPI and SBEC. What
underhood
> wiring harness will work? How do I compensate for the different length
of 318
> vs 3.9L. Are motor mounts available for this installation. How about
trans
> mount. Does it stay in same location, or will it be different because
the 318
> is longer than 3.9L? Oh Yeah!!! I also need more cooling with the 360.
What