Plugs

From: rlr (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Wed May 21 1997 - 09:23:00 EDT

Normally I don't get involved in brand warfare, but in this case
I can't resist piping up. I hate baseline Champions. I have bought
Champions on a few occasions in the past (mainly because they are
always dirt cheap), and have gotten burned in more ways than one.

  One center electrode broken fresh out of the box.

  One porcelain insulator cracked and pitted after an hour in
the boat. Man, was I paranoid about burnt valves!

  General impression is that they don't last long, but honestly
they probably last as long as any other manufacturer's cheap plugs.

  OK, I have never checked out the Champion Gold or Truck plugs,
so I'm only talking about the normal cheapo Champions, but I doubt
I'll ever run a Champion plug again if I can help it (unfortunately,
all the small equipment plugs around here are Champion, so my poor
mowers and small 2-strokes are doomed ;).

  I have switched to NGK in our boat (runs great, and always worked
well with the motorcycles), and plan on changing the Dakota plugs to
Autolite Double Platinum.

  Ron