Why Dakota?

From: rlr (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Wed May 21 1997 - 13:39:43 EDT

> why DID Dodge create the Dakota?
> Were they competing with a specific truck? Trying to target a market?

  I really think Dodge was trying to create a new truck market with
the Dakota. Probably as a result of marketing studies which indicated
lots of people buying base model fullsize trucks who didn't really
want something that big, and lots of others buying minitrucks who
wanted V8s.

  I know that the main reason we bought Dakota over the minis was
because we simply got more truck for the money (V8!). I didn't
really want a fullsize truck as my daily driver, but occasionally
need more capacity than a typical mini offers. From what I've seen,
the redesigned Dakota comes with a redesigned price tag, so maybe
it isn't the same bargain as it was in '95.

  The only other pickup I can think about that directly competes
with the Dakota would be the Toyota T-100. The Toyota was clearly
overpriced IMO, plus it didn't have the V8 torque.

  Ron