Re: Why Dakota?

From: Gary Brinck (gary@mercury.net)
Date: Wed May 21 1997 - 23:55:53 EDT

--
Gary  (Florida)rlr wrote:

> > why DID Dodge create the Dakota?
> > Were they competing with a specific truck?  Trying to target a market?
>
>   I really think Dodge was trying to create a new truck market with
> the Dakota.  Probably as a result of marketing studies which indicated
> lots of people buying base model fullsize trucks who didn't really
> want something that big, and lots of others buying minitrucks who
> wanted V8s.
>
>   I know that the main reason we bought Dakota over the minis was
> because we simply got more truck for the money (V8!).  I didn't
> really want a fullsize truck as my daily driver, but occasionally
> need more capacity than a typical mini offers.  From what I've seen,
> the redesigned Dakota comes with a redesigned price tag, so maybe
> it isn't the same bargain as it was in '95.
>
>   Ron

Those were pretty much the reasons we got a 97 Dakota also - wanted a V8 to tow our 25 ft travel trailer, but otherwise didn't need a full-sized truck for a daily driver. And the nicely turned-out Dakota runs about $3000 less than a comparably equipped full-size.

Had a 94 GMC Sonoma before - a sharp truck and a joy to drive. But the V6 doesn't deliver enough torque for towing in the hills (although it worked fine in the Florida flatlands).

Gary