Re: Drat!!!! (turkey damage on my '97)

From: Lee Jacobs (LJacobs@calvin.uchsc.edu)
Date: Wed May 21 1997 - 19:16:31 EDT

> > From: "L. J. Morris" <ljohn@alltel.net>
> > You indicated the shop can obtain an 'auto' radiator, put it in, it
> > probably has a little more cooling capacity and you'll just have the two
> > fittings for the trany line hook-ups with plugs in then to keep the dust
> > out. I did this on my '89 Ranger.
>
> [I agree with your email, I'm just trying to stir up those 'auto' guys a
> little. ;^) ;^) ;^) ]
>
> -Scott Vieth http://www.msn.fullfeed.com/~scottv

It's my understanding that a radiator for an automatic will have part
of the radiator partitioned off for the automatic trans. fluid. This
(in my opinion) would be have *less* cooling capacity for radiator
fluid. I.E. though the total gallon capacity of an automatic trans.
radiator might be more (though I doubt it), it would be divided between
radiator fluid and auto. trans. fluid.

In essence, the best bet for an automatic trans. vehicle is a full
radiator, with an added auto-trans. cooler. Then there's no
'double duty'.

Does the 97 owners manual give fluid capacities ? If so,
please share if there's a difference between auto and manual
transmission vehicle's anti-freeze capacities.

I think the results will be tallied as 'wait for a manual
trans radiator'. Also - was there a difference between
the towing/heavy duty package (4 core?) and regular (2 core?)
V-8 radiators ??

So much to learn .... So little memory...
Lee Jacobs, 96SLT 4x4 cc V-8 HD Tow ABS 5Speed
Current Score: Dakota 0 Turkeys 0

   __
  / / ___ ___ Lee Jacobs
 / / / _ \/ _ \ LJacobs@Calvin.UCHSC.Edu
/ /__| __/ __/ University of Colorado Health Sciences
\____/\___|\___| Big Aspirations, Small Wallet.