Re: accident update and tranny problems

From: WillTier@aol.com
Date: Mon May 26 1997 - 21:26:18 EDT

<< when I get going between 15-20 mph it
 starts jumping like it's trying to get into 2nd gear, but won't shift until
 give it a good dose of gas and then it jolts into second, then yesterday I
 was racing a friend of mine's '86 Pontiac T.A. and it didn't shift from 2nd
 to 3rd at all and shot up to 5500 rpm's until I got of the gas and finally
 dropped in to 3rd. After that i stopped at a sunoco to get a pack of cigs,
 and put it in park but didn't turn it off and when I got back in it to leave
 I shifted to R in it wouldn't go any where, so I putted in N and it started
 going foward, so I shut it off and cranked her back up and every thing was
 fine again, but i still have the shifting problem, if yall have any
 suggestions please reply, i could use the help. thanks >>

The first thing I would check is to see if it has the proper fluid level in
the tranny and I know on mine it has to be checked hot and in NEUTRAL not
park. I had a problem with mine when I first got it and the jerks didn't put
enough fluid in it and it acted some what like yours. However yours I believe
is a electronic shift and there may be a problem there especially if you can
shut it off and it corrects. Either way something is definitely wrong and I
would take it in for service..

Bill