Re: meldrum filter

From: Russell Blahetka (russblahetka@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jun 05 1997 - 21:30:55 EDT

Mathew DePasquale wrote:

> You guys convinced me to do the open-element filter too to my '96 Sport
> (V-6). I can't
> remember off hand the name of the filter, but I first tried the
> Edlebrock Pro 14". It
> didn't fit so I too went with the 10". I haven't installed the K&N yet
> but it makes
> a FANTASTIC sound above 3500 RPM (even on my v6!) I didn't notice too
> much of a
> performance increase, but then again I got used to driving my truck with
> that plastic
> restrictive thing by the grille ripped off.
>
> For those of you with the 10" filter, what part number (or size) K&N did
> you use? It
> looks like I still have a descent amount of space for the filter and
> probably could go
> another inch.
>
> Thanks again ... another satisfied 'Meldrum' client.
>
> P.S. I was on the March Performance page today. For the rest of 'us'
> trying hard to
> find performance parts for the 3.9L, March makes a 3 piece pulley set
> with about a 15
> horsepower increase. I called for the price and it's about $200.00.
> Their web site
> is: www.marchperf.com. Check it out. Has anyone tried these?
> Sean Meldrum wrote:
> >
> > At 06:00 PM 6/5/97 -0400, you wrote:
> > >JBROWN;
> > >
> > >Sure is great, huh! And the best thing it sure does de-clutter the engine
> > >bay.
> > >
> > >(send Sean a thank you)
> > >===================='97 Dakota SLT+=====================
> > >
> > > L. John Morris<ljohn@alltel.net>
> > >#
> > >much

> > No thank-yous necessary. ;^)
> >
> > Actually, we have a rebel here. I considered the Pro-Flow initially as
> > I've already got one sittin' on the shelf for my Mustang. I was concerned
> > about how close the hood would come to the top of the filter though and
> > since the 1002 pulls down from the top I stuck with the standard can type.
> > Plus I was eager to try out the K&N claims. It obviously works out well
> > though. Hmmm.....Monday the can, Tuesday the Pro Flo, Wednesday the
> > can,......... ;^)
> >
> > You got an increase I'm sure.......definitely *not* yer imagination.
> >
> > *******************************97 Dakota Sport*******************************
> > Work: sean_p_meldrum@auto.ittind.com
> >
> > Black, 318, 5spd, 3.55SG, reg. cab, 2wd, buckets
> > "Meldrum" fresh air filter combo
> > All exterior vinyl graphics removed
> > Cherry Bomb Turbo II exiting b4 axle (temporary)
> > MSD 6a, Blaster coil, & Moroso Blue Max wires awaiting installation
> > ****
i have been tossing the idea of the open element but i figured if i
could get another housing and duct i could make an opening on the
original and run a dual induction type deal.....this way i would not
have to suck underhood air and it should still flow well...

Russ

*Happiness is driving an A$$ kicking Mopar =)*
*          http://www.earthlink.net          *