Re: More latenight cruisin'

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 06 1997 - 18:08:29 EDT

> Man, you said THAT right. While attending our local F-Body
> DynoPalooza, a friend of one of the list members showed up in his
> brand new Hennessey Viper Venom 550 (you know, the "low" powered one)
> He pulled 550 something HP AT THE WHEELS with alomst as much torque.
> The thing was running 11.8's at our local slippery track on STREET
> tires (big-ass ones, though) at about 130 MPH.
>
> Gorgeous blue with dual white racing stripes. There's only one guy on
> our Austin list that could keep up with him in the quarter, but
> that's a whole other story.
>
> By the way, you should hear the idle on this car. Hennessey must put
> in one helluva cam, because the thing alomst sounds like a dragster.
> The exhaust was so loud that under full throttle on the dyno, my ear
> drums freaked out and I got dizzy and almost lost my balance. The
> same thing happened to the guy that was standing next to me. But I
> loved it at idle; thrumpa thrumpa thrump. Still, it didn't have that
> cool sound that a good American V8 can make.
>
> Carl
> Carl Vidos * cvidos@io.com * http://www.io.com/~cvidos
> 1995 Firebird M6, White, Flowmaster, LGM Intake, Hurst, ~CAGS
> AFPR, Crane Gold Rockers, Taylor 8mm Wires, MSD 6A, 13.78@103.97
I've never heard the Viper idle but from my experince with V8's I'd
venture to say you're right, there's nothing quite like a properly
exhausted V8, especially at high rpm's, I just love that sound, I think
I'm addicted to it actually, I can't get enough of it. The only thing
I've ever heard that comes close to the sound of a V8 is a Cummins diesel,
have you ever heard one of those up close? Man, I tell you, if I ever
decide to get a full-sized truck it'll be a Ram with a Cummins in it.

Bruce