Re: 97 Daks and CB radios

From: Russell Blahetka (russblahetka@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Jun 07 1997 - 20:01:02 EDT

Steve Lowe wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Jun 1997 18:03:58 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:
>
> >I installed a radio shack cb that I am really fond of, it has your upper and
> >lower side bands and you can take it to any cb shop and get a lot more than
> >the 4 watt maximum limit added for under $75.00. I have a 4x4 but was still
> >able to mount it just above the shifter and just left of the ash tray looks
> >very good and not in the way.
>
> I have a stick, about the only place is under the dash on the
> passenger side, or a compact model with the controls on the mike,
> under the drivers seat.
>
> >As for the whips, i put mounted them on the
> >toolbox but be sure to use rubber washers if it a metal toolbox, i went with
> >51/2' whips and have reached out over fifty miles here in columbus, great
> >distances for a cb.
> >

> That would work if I had a tool box. I am still undecided. I think
> that the antenna is going to be the biggest pain in the butt. Hey
> Russ! Is there any thing out there that will clamp to the rear bumper?
> Something like the deal I saw on a Jeep TJ. I could go for a really
> large antenna and only put it on when I need it.
>
> Steve
>
> 97' Dakota Sport Plus, 4X4, 5 speed, all the goodies 'cept anti-lock brakes
> Gibson Cat-Back...
> Home Page at http://www.primenet.com/~slow
one thing i have seen alot of people do is mount one on the teailer hith
part of the bumper...you know the hole for the ball....you can get a
quick disconnect for them so when you want to open the tailgate you just
turn the antena a half turn and it will pop off...the only thing is that
if you run a steel whip (recomened with this set up) it should be 8 1/2
feet in length for it to work well....then you need to add a tennis ball
for it not to hit the tail gate....supposedly it will make you forward
directional but like i said...i know of a few guys running this set up
and it does work well....just looks silly in my opinion...never did care
for the RC truck look...;)....oh BTW...sideband does crank more
watts...but it is kinda a pain to tune and you are supposed to be kinda
stationary while using sideband because you need to keep tuning in your
other signal while moving....also it is very hard to talk to 2 people at
once with sideband because you need to be tuned to both...which doesn't
always work but i have had it work before...the othert thing with
sideband is that your modulation (voice) is your carrier for your
signal...so unless you have a loud radio (i.e power mic or clipped
modulation) you won't be doing any better than as if you were on am...i
guess you really need to be into it for it to really matter but
basically if you want it to work well you need to go with a 5.2 3.90
sure grip truck instead of the ford tempo...;)if this was a year ago i
had a watt meter and i could set your whole rig up but i got rid of most
of my stuff when i moved out of the parents place and into an
apartment...but if you know of anyone i still have a 18 foot antenna on
a 5 ft mast on a 3 ft tripod that i want to get rid of...on top iof my
mom's house i could get a 30 mile radias with 4 watts like i was next to
you...80 miles with the linear but i sold that long ago...oh BTW...the
truck i had this all in was a stick..origanlly when i had the bench i
had it mounted to the floor with it facing up kinda resting against the
bench...depending on how small the radio is you may still be able to
squeeze it under that dash right in the middle....after i put buckets in
it i flush mounted it into the center counsel...it took some work but it
looked real nice when it was done....i'm not sure how big exactly the
97's counsel ios but you may be able to do something....what state are
you in anyway?? if i could see the truck i could tell you exactly hat
route to go....maybe next time i have a 97 at work (we had one already
for dual exhasut) i can look closer at it...

Russ

*Happiness is driving an A$$ kicking Mopar =)*
*   http://home.earthlink.net/~russblahetka  *