Re: Gibson Cat-back Exhaust.....

From: Jon Steiger (steiger@ait.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 10 1997 - 08:51:48 EDT

At 06:56 AM 6/10/97 -500, Carl Vidos wrote:
>Oh, Lord, I've heard it all now! A Ferd with a 3.0 Yamaha making
>300 HP stock? Yea, and I gotta a bridge I'd like to sell you. They
>didn't "choke the hell out it." They lowered the REDLINE so that
>the accessories wouldn't fail. According to Ford and Yamaha
>engineers, the engine was good to 8000 RPM, but the accessories
>wouldn't hold up.
>
>No matter, tho. I've never had a SHO even come CLOSE to being a
>challenge on the street. No TORQUE.

   I've never driven the Ford ummm, yamaha, whatever SHO, so I
can't comment on the torque, but I did have a high speed run in
with some jerk in a SHO. (With my 3000GT, not the Dak) I was
driving up this really steep hill, and he pulls out right in front
of me. As if I was going to slow him down or something. (One look
at my VR-4 and you *know* you're not going to be stuck behind me.)
Anyway, he went up the hill fairly slow (by my standards) and I was
moving along pretty good, so I put the gas to 'er, and went by him
like he was standing still. We get over the hill, and I slow down to
65 or so (speed limit 55), but he comes right up behind me and then
passed. Nowadays, that would have been the end of it, but I was young
and foolish then. ;) I got ticked off and passed him right back. By
this time we were doing oh, 100 or so. He passed me again. I had a nice
straightaway, so I put the pedal to the floor, heard the beautiful sound
of the twin turbos spooling up, got that great kick in the pants, and blew
by him. I'm not sure how fast I was going when I passed him, but when I
began to slow down and looked at my speedometer, I was doing 140. He
didn't try to pass me again. :)

   Again, that was really stupid, I don't advocate doing anything
like this, so don't go blaming me for glamorizing racing on public
highways. :) Especially hilly 2 lane highways like that one. (Hey,
I told you it was stupid!) :)

>-Carl
>
>PS - I've got some chrome shift knobs for sale for the DAK. They're
> worth at least 18 HP over stock! :)

   Oooh!! How much?? That, combined with my 30hp Reese hitch will
have me smoking LT1's in no time! :) If I buy more than one and
put the rest in my glove box, will that increase my HP even more? Or
do they have to be physically connected to the stick? (I could duct tape
'em on there, I suppose...)

                                              -Jon-

    Jon Steiger - Network Administrator for Academic Information Technology
    .- steiger@ait.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ -.
    | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ |
    | '96 Dodge Dakota SLT V8, '96 Kolb FireFly 447, '91 Yamaha FZR600R |
     I do not speak for SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.