Re: Gibson Cat-back Exhaust.....

From: Carl Vidos (cvidos@io.com)
Date: Tue Jun 10 1997 - 07:56:29 EDT

Phil Hyde wrote on 09-Jun-97 22:26:51

>Has anyone on the list done a custom dual setup with hi-flo cats? It
>can be done, and sounds like it would produce maybe 50hp?

In FantasyLand, maybe.

>A simliar comparison is the car I used to drive - Ford Taurus SHO.
>The factory came up with a 3.0L DOHC V6 that produced 300hp in
>stock trim. Then, they had to choke the hell out of it to get
>it down to 220hp so they could put a cheap transaxle under it.
>You can get an easy 30-40hp with a custom exhaust on one of
>those cars. Well, enough about that......

Oh, Lord, I've heard it all now! A Ferd with a 3.0 Yamaha making
300 HP stock? Yea, and I gotta a bridge I'd like to sell you. They
didn't "choke the hell out it." They lowered the REDLINE so that
the accessories wouldn't fail. According to Ford and Yamaha
engineers, the engine was good to 8000 RPM, but the accessories
wouldn't hold up.

No matter, tho. I've never had a SHO even come CLOSE to being a
challenge on the street. No TORQUE.

-Carl

PS - I've got some chrome shift knobs for sale for the DAK. They're
     worth at least 18 HP over stock! :)

     Moral of the story. Spend the bux and put the truck on a chassis
     dyno, make your mods, then dyno again under the same conditions.
     THEN you can tell me your new exhaust makes 50 HP...

     I'm not being a jerk on purpose; I just can't help myself. It's
     fun razzin' you guys... please don't get too upset. All in fun.