Re: Gibson Cat-back Exhaust.....

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 10 1997 - 09:37:35 EDT

> At 06:56 AM 6/10/97 -500, Carl Vidos wrote:
> >Oh, Lord, I've heard it all now! A Ferd with a 3.0 Yamaha making
> >300 HP stock? Yea, and I gotta a bridge I'd like to sell you. They
> >didn't "choke the hell out it." They lowered the REDLINE so that
> >the accessories wouldn't fail. According to Ford and Yamaha
> >engineers, the engine was good to 8000 RPM, but the accessories
> >wouldn't hold up.
> >
> >No matter, tho. I've never had a SHO even come CLOSE to being a
> >challenge on the street. No TORQUE.
>
> I've never driven the Ford ummm, yamaha, whatever SHO, so I
> can't comment on the torque, but I did have a high speed run in
> with some jerk in a SHO. (With my 3000GT, not the Dak) I was
> driving up this really steep hill, and he pulls out right in front
> of me. As if I was going to slow him down or something. (One look
> at my VR-4 and you *know* you're not going to be stuck behind me.)
> Anyway, he went up the hill fairly slow (by my standards) and I was
> moving along pretty good, so I put the gas to 'er, and went by him
> like he was standing still. We get over the hill, and I slow down to
> 65 or so (speed limit 55), but he comes right up behind me and then
> passed. Nowadays, that would have been the end of it, but I was young
> and foolish then. ;) I got ticked off and passed him right back. By
> this time we were doing oh, 100 or so. He passed me again. I had a nice
> straightaway, so I put the pedal to the floor, heard the beautiful sound
> of the twin turbos spooling up, got that great kick in the pants, and blew
> by him. I'm not sure how fast I was going when I passed him, but when I
> began to slow down and looked at my speedometer, I was doing 140. He
> didn't try to pass me again. :)
>
> Again, that was really stupid, I don't advocate doing anything
> like this, so don't go blaming me for glamorizing racing on public
> highways. :) Especially hilly 2 lane highways like that one. (Hey,
> I told you it was stupid!) :)
>

> >-Carl
> >
> >PS - I've got some chrome shift knobs for sale for the DAK. They're
> > worth at least 18 HP over stock! :)
>
> Oooh!! How much?? That, combined with my 30hp Reese hitch will
> have me smoking LT1's in no time! :) If I buy more than one and
> put the rest in my glove box, will that increase my HP even more? Or
> do they have to be physically connected to the stick? (I could duct tape
> 'em on there, I suppose...)
>

> -Jon-
Ya'll realize your all a bunch of smarta$$es, but I like it. I have my
moments also. But I must say Jon, to be such a smarta$$, you weren't to
bright that day racing, just kidding, seriously I see nothing wrong with
racing on the streets as long as the streets are straight and no one else
is around.:)

Bruce