Re: Gibson Cat-back Exhaust.....

From: Phil Hyde (philh@insync.net)
Date: Tue Jun 10 1997 - 11:44:42 EDT

Carl Vidos wrote:

> >A simliar comparison is the car I used to drive - Ford Taurus SHO.
> >The factory came up with a 3.0L DOHC V6 that produced 300hp in
> >stock trim. Then, they had to choke the hell out of it to get
> >it down to 220hp so they could put a cheap transaxle under it.
> >You can get an easy 30-40hp with a custom exhaust on one of
> >those cars. Well, enough about that......
>
> Oh, Lord, I've heard it all now! A Ferd with a 3.0 Yamaha making
> 300 HP stock? Yea, and I gotta a bridge I'd like to sell you. They
> didn't "choke the hell out it." They lowered the REDLINE so that
> the accessories wouldn't fail. According to Ford and Yamaha
> engineers, the engine was good to 8000 RPM, but the accessories
> wouldn't hold up.

You didn't read what I posted. I said _the_ factory developed a
300hp engine. The Yamaha motor was originally designed for a race
car Ford was developing called the GN34(?). They scrapped the
car, but still had the engine contract.

The engine is very capable, even in stock trim. With underdrive
pulleys and a free-flowing exhaust and removal of the rev-limiter
it will pull up to 8000-9000RPMs. Some people claim it's good for
10,000RPMs.

Simply lowering the REDLINE doesn't change the output of the engine.
The factory exhaust is extremely restrictive and the stock computer
timing and fuel curves are very tame.

Not trying to "be a jerk on purpose" either. I owned the car for
two years and kept up with possible modifications and the like.

cheers,
Phil
'97 Dakota (not faster than my previous car - yet :-0 )
'67 Charger