Finally dynoed!

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Tue Jun 10 1997 - 18:30:23 EDT

Went to Motorsort Technologies, Inc. yesterday with a friend of mine.
He has a LT1 police package Caprice that he was checking on to get a
Paxton supercharger put in. This was a nice shop, very clean and
professional and the people who worked there really know their stuff. I
wasn't going to spend anything, but, they had a nice Dynojet chasis
dynomometer that caught my eye, and I just happened to be driving my
Dakota, so I asked if they could dyno my Dak and they said Ok. I wish I
had known I was doing this so I could have taken pictures (a la Sam
Parthemer) and also recorded the sound of the engine. With the FIPK on
the sound the truck made under full throttle from 3500rpm to 5200rpm
totally blew me away! I always hear the truck from the inside of the
cab which is a lot different than standing next to it with the hood up.
Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that my truck could make
a sound as sweet as what I heard. When the technician first punched it
my eyes got big and all I could do was stand there and grin. It's also
kinda scary seeing your tires turn 110mph inside a garage, just hope
those tie-downs hold!

Anyway here's the scoop:

Engine Measured Corrected Time
RPM Trq hp Trq hp (sec)
        __________ __________

0 -------RPM Data not available----------
3250 238.5 147.6 242.1 149.8 0.00
3500 258.5 172.3 262.4 174.9 0.66
3750 258.4 184.5 262.2 187.2 1.28
4000 253.7 193.2 257.5 196.1 1.91
4500 238.5 204.8 242.0 207.9 2.56
4750 228.8 208.3 232.2 211.3 3.23
5000 215.8 205.4 219.0 208.5 4.66

Non-stock items: MPSBEC, KN FIPK, Splitfires, 180 tstat, Castrol Syntec
10w-30

Because mine is an auto tranny I did not get a full graph. The guy said
he had to start the graph at a speed that the truck would not downshift
when floored (needs a 1:1 drive ratio I think), which I believe turned
out to be around 65mph. I asked the guy what he would estimate the
numbers at the crank to be and he said to take the numbers you are
getting out the rear wheels and divide by 0.82. He said that that would
be almost dead on and I tend to agree with him. I had guessed that my
hp/tq was 260hp and 321ft/lbs, (adding up conservitive numbers for my
mods.)and when the guy ran the numbers it came out 257hp and
322ft/lbs...."pert' damn close!"

I'm sending Jon two scans of my dyno graphs to put up with the rest of
my Dak pictures so everyone can get a look at it.

And speaking of Superchargers.... This place is one of the largest
Paxton dealers in Houston. There was 3 cars in the shop all waiting for
supercharger installations. The guy at this place said they installed a
Vortech on a red '93 Dak. I didn't get a lot of details on it, but he
said that with drag radials the owner was turning out 12's in the
quarter... Well I'm sold, now if I only had 4 grand :-(

--
Michael Clark                    mike@snakebite.com
	93 Mark III 4X2 reg. cab SWB