Cat-back Exhaust.....

From: Phil Hyde (philh@insync.net)
Date: Wed Jun 11 1997 - 13:10:18 EDT

Sean Meldrum wrote:
><snip>
> What I'm boiling down to is this: The stock exhaust system on a '97
> Dakota consists of cast iron exhaust manifolds, a 1 3/4" Y-pipe (at least
> they eliminated the "crimp"), funneled into a 2 1/2" cat, and then a 2
> 1/2" exhaust and muffler. There is no way that this system is anywhere
> near optimal for performance. I could see a *huge* improvement by
> installing a properly sized exhuast for the power level of the motor.
> Hell, even Fox body Mustangs (at almost identical power levels) came with
> larger, full dual exhaust. A full 2 1/2" exhaust, dual cats and mufflers
> just *might* find 50 hp in that Magnum motor. I'm not sayin' its a
> guarantee, but I certainly can't say its impossible. If you were to throw
> headers into the mix you'd be there for sure.

I was out looking at the exhaust on my stock '97 last night. That
Y-pipe
is tiny! Has anyone replaced it with some 2-1/4", maybe 2-1/2" pipe
into the cat?

I'm sure some exhaust shops could easily fabricate this pipe, and I'd
be willing to be it would increase power. In fact, the Y-pipe seems
to be the biggest bottleneck.

cheers,
Phil
'97 Dakota