ford bashing

From: Frank Ball (frankb@cougar.sr.hp.com)
Date: Wed Jun 11 1997 - 01:45:13 EDT

} You didn't read what I posted. I said _the_ factory developed a
} 300hp engine. The Yamaha motor was originally designed for a race
} car Ford was developing called the GN34(?). They scrapped the
} car, but still had the engine contract.
}
} The engine is very capable, even in stock trim. With underdrive
} pulleys and a free-flowing exhaust and removal of the rev-limiter
} it will pull up to 8000-9000RPMs. Some people claim it's good for
} 10,000RPMs.
}
} Simply lowering the REDLINE doesn't change the output of the engine.
} The factory exhaust is extremely restrictive and the stock computer
} timing and fuel curves are very tame.

Lowering the redline does reduce the horsepowewr. Either the rpm limit is
below the horsepower peak or it gets a milder cam. Less power either
way.

} What's misleading? Ford and Yamaha developed the engine. Show me
} any factory alternator that likes to be attached to an engine running
} 8000-9000 RPMs!

I didn't see "Yamaha" in the intial post.

My Yamaha YZF600R alternator spins 13,000+ rpm no problem (it is mounted
on the left end of the crankshaft). Kawasaki makes several 14,000 rpm
street bikes with alternators also spinning at crank speed. Once they
have gone to the expense of designing an engine like that it is stupid not
to finish the job by designing the accesories for it.

Frank Ball 1UR-M frankb@sr.hp.com (707) 794-4168 work
Hewlett Packard (707) 794-3038 fax (707) 538-3693 home
1212 Valley House Drive Kawi KDX200, Yamaha XT350 YZF600R Seca 750
Rohnert Park CA 94928-4999 '95 Dakota SLT Club Cab V8 5-Speed 2WD