Re: ford bashing

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 11 1997 - 09:05:59 EDT

> } You didn't read what I posted. I said _the_ factory developed a
> } 300hp engine. The Yamaha motor was originally designed for a race
> } car Ford was developing called the GN34(?). They scrapped the
> } car, but still had the engine contract.
> }
> } The engine is very capable, even in stock trim. With underdrive
> } pulleys and a free-flowing exhaust and removal of the rev-limiter
> } it will pull up to 8000-9000RPMs. Some people claim it's good for
> } 10,000RPMs.
> }
> } Simply lowering the REDLINE doesn't change the output of the engine.
> } The factory exhaust is extremely restrictive and the stock computer
> } timing and fuel curves are very tame.
>
> Lowering the redline does reduce the horsepowewr. Either the rpm limit is
> below the horsepower peak or it gets a milder cam. Less power either
> way.
>
> } What's misleading? Ford and Yamaha developed the engine. Show me
> } any factory alternator that likes to be attached to an engine running
> } 8000-9000 RPMs!
>
> I didn't see "Yamaha" in the intial post.
>
> My Yamaha YZF600R alternator spins 13,000+ rpm no problem (it is mounted
> on the left end of the crankshaft). Kawasaki makes several 14,000 rpm
> street bikes with alternators also spinning at crank speed. Once they
> have gone to the expense of designing an engine like that it is stupid not
> to finish the job by designing the accesories for it.
>
> Frank Ball 1UR-M frankb@sr.hp.com (707) 794-4168 work
> Hewlett Packard (707) 794-3038 fax (707) 538-3693 home
> 1212 Valley House Drive Kawi KDX200, Yamaha XT350 YZF600R Seca 750
> Rohnert Park CA 94928-4999 '95 Dakota SLT Club Cab V8 5-Speed 2WD

I have to agree with you Frank, it seems that after you design a good
engine, you'd design good accessories to go with it instead of restricting
the engine and using same shitty accessories. I guess they never heard
the old saying "In for a penny, in for a pound.) (Is that right, I know
it's something like that), i.e. after spending that much money and time on
the engine looks like they could of spent a little more on accessories.
Of course this is ford we're talking about so what do you expect.

Bruce