Re: Cruise control (among other things...)

From: Gary Atkinson (gatkin@series2000.com)
Date: Sun Jun 15 1997 - 23:56:00 EDT

Pat Buthmann wrote:

> Evening guys (and gals, let's not be biased)
>

> Thanks,
>
> Pat Buthmann
>
> '97 Dakota Sport CC, 4x4 5.2L V8, 5Spd, T&H Package, all heavy duty junk, just no creature comforts...

 Pat, I looked at more than a few Dak's without cruise control and
every
dealer said he could install a factory style for about $300 US. I
looked at it pretty hard and as far as I could tell it would have been
identical to the factory unit. Even so, I found a Dak with the factory
unit and went for it. In any case, the cruise is the only problem I've
had with my new truck. Mine had a ticking sound comming from the servo
unit when i accelerated with the gas pedal or coasted and because it is
mounted to the firewall the sound transmitted to the cab. Back to the
dealer and he jumped right on it. It seems that several other Daks on
his lot had a noise also. A new servo got rid of about 90% of the
noise. I fixed the last 10 with rubber bushings to isolate the servo.

My point is I think the cruise control is well worth it but be aware of
the possibility of noise and make sure your dealer's service dept will
stand behind it.

Gary Atkinson, 97 Sport CC, (wish I had a V8)