Re: *Real* mufflers

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Sun Jun 22 1997 - 22:13:02 EDT

Sean Meldrum wrote:

> Mike......I've heard Dave Deming's 2 chamber dual rear exit system. It's
> what you want. Nice rumble at idle, great bark when you throttle it, but
> since the pipes are run to the rear you can just hear it in the cab. As
> for the 2-1/2" pipes....did you mean the tails or the inlet. 2-1/2" tails
> should be ok but 2-1/4" tails match a 3" single a bit better. A 3" pipe
> has a cross-sectional area of 7.1 sq. in. Dual 2-1/4's would yield
> 7.9-8.0 sq. in. and dual 2-1/2's give ya 9.8 sq. in. IMHO if yer at all
> worried about low end power loss and you don't plan on making a lot of
> modifications to the truck I'd stick with the 2-1/4's. If you're planning
> on other power mod's down the line then the 2-1/2's would pay off. Just my
> $0.02.
>
> *******************************97 Dakota Sport*******************************
> sean meldrum

After the flowmaster i want to do DT headers so those should make up for
any low end loss. So I think I'll go with the 2 1/2" tailpipes. One
more question: Should I get a 3" in 3" out or a 3" in dual 2.5" out?
With the 3" in and out there would have to be some sort of Y connector
to split off into duals. With the dual out this would not be needed.
Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for the suggestions.

--
Michael Clark                    mike@snakebite.com