Re: *Real* mufflers

From: Sean Meldrum (spm@c3net.net)
Date: Sun Jun 22 1997 - 20:30:03 EDT

At 06:51 PM 6/22/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Jarrod Pilone wrote:
>How do you like the sound of the 2 chamber flowmaster? I've heard some
>people say the 2 was too loud and to go with the 3. I'm pretty much
>sold on a flowmaster but I'm still not quite sure if I want a 2 chamber
>or 3. I want something that will turn heads but not make me go deaf! I
>want the same setup basically as what you have, only with dual tailpipes
>exiting straight back on each side. Also if I'm doing duals would it be
>better to go to 2.5" pipes so as not to kill torque?
>--
>Michael Clark mike@snakebite.com

Jarrod. Thanks for the reply..my question too....how do you like the sound?
 Only difference is I *want* some volume. I'm temporarily runnin' no
muffler at all. It sounds *great* but is just a little too loud for
gettin' along with the neighbors. ;^) I'm lookin' to end the exhuast
before the axle so the 3" center in/out is exactly what I'm looking for and
the volume should be just slightly higher than the 3" in/2-1/2" dual out,
which is the only Dak mounted Flowmaster I've heard in person.

Mike......I've heard Dave Deming's 2 chamber dual rear exit system. It's
what you want. Nice rumble at idle, great bark when you throttle it, but
since the pipes are run to the rear you can just hear it in the cab. As
for the 2-1/2" pipes....did you mean the tails or the inlet. 2-1/2" tails
should be ok but 2-1/4" tails match a 3" single a bit better. A 3" pipe
has a cross-sectional area of 7.1 sq. in. Dual 2-1/4's would yield
7.9-8.0 sq. in. and dual 2-1/2's give ya 9.8 sq. in. IMHO if yer at all
worried about low end power loss and you don't plan on making a lot of
modifications to the truck I'd stick with the 2-1/4's. If you're planning
on other power mod's down the line then the 2-1/2's would pay off. Just my
$0.02.

  sean meldrum