Re: *Real* mufflers

From: Sean Meldrum (spm@c3net.net)
Date: Sun Jun 22 1997 - 22:33:34 EDT

At 09:13 PM 6/22/97 -0500, you wrote:
>After the flowmaster i want to do DT headers so those should make up for
>any low end loss. So I think I'll go with the 2 1/2" tailpipes. One
>more question: Should I get a 3" in 3" out or a 3" in dual 2.5" out?
>With the 3" in and out there would have to be some sort of Y connector
>to split off into duals. With the dual out this would not be needed.
>Any thoughts on this?
>
>Thanks for the suggestions.
>--
>Michael Clark mike@snakebite.com

I checked your website and saw your "future mods" after I read the post and
I agree.....the 2-1/2's are your best bet.

The 3" in/out would probably register slightly more dB's but it might me
unnoticable. Probably more power through the 3" in/out but you'll be
splittin' the exhuast anyway. I'd save the couple of bucks you'd be paying
for the necessary Y-collector and get the dual out version. The muffler,
being designed for dual outs, should flow much better than a Y-collector.
Exhaust Y-collectors are much more efficient at collecting 2 pipes into one
than they are at splitting the exhuast from one into two.

If you go 2-chambers the dual out (should be p/n 430402) is the same price
as a p/n 43040 3" center in/out. Both $50.95 via Summit Racing. The
3-chamber single in/dual out jumps to $86.50 and has 2.25" outlets. A
3-chamber 3" center in/out (p/n 43050) goes for $53.95. If you order from
Summit you need to put a 'FLO-' in front of these numbers.

I've got a muffler shootout article that was actually performed on a
Mustang but give two opinions (20ish and 40ish ages), rates them from one
to ten, and has dB measurements. I'd be glad to clip the Flowmaster
section and stick into a .txt file and forward to ya if yer still having
trouble deciding.

  sean meldrum