Re: *Real* mufflers

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Mon Jun 23 1997 - 18:35:39 EDT

Sean Meldrum wrote:

> The 3" in/out would probably register slightly more dB's but it might me
> unnoticable. Probably more power through the 3" in/out but you'll be
> splittin' the exhuast anyway. I'd save the couple of bucks you'd be paying
> for the necessary Y-collector and get the dual out version. The muffler,
> being designed for dual outs, should flow much better than a Y-collector.
> Exhaust Y-collectors are much more efficient at collecting 2 pipes into one
> than they are at splitting the exhuast from one into two.
>
> If you go 2-chambers the dual out (should be p/n 430402) is the same price
> as a p/n 43040 3" center in/out. Both $50.95 via Summit Racing. The
> 3-chamber single in/dual out jumps to $86.50 and has 2.25" outlets. A
> 3-chamber 3" center in/out (p/n 43050) goes for $53.95. If you order from
> Summit you need to put a 'FLO-' in front of these numbers.
> *******************************97 Dakota Sport*******************************
> sean meldrum

Checked the local muffler shop today. 3" in dual 2.5" out 2 chamber
flowmaster with 2.5" tailpipes and 3" chrome tips for $240.00. The guy
said the muffler was $90.00 so I asked what if I buy the muffler
elsewhere and he said $150.00. So if I get it through Summit for $50.00
+ $150.00 for pipes and installation thats about $200.00 total. Does
this sound like a good deal?

What do I need to order from Summit? Center inlet or ofsset and what
size dimmensions? I didn't see anything like I need listed in the
catalog, but I guess they have a lot that's not listed? Sean are the
above part numbers what I need (2chamber 3"in dual 2.5" out)?

Thanks for the help guys. I hope in a few weeks I can go ahead and have
this done...

--
Michael Clark                    mike@snakebite.com
	93 Mark III 4X2 reg. cab SWB