dakota sure-grip

From: Frank Ball (frankb@cougar.sr.hp.com)
Date: Tue Jul 01 1997 - 01:40:38 EDT

} Subject: Re: Suregrip not so sure...
}
} I have a '97 reg cab 4x4 with the "limited slip dif" option code on the
} options sticker of the glove box. If I nail it from a dead stop, then I
} get two strips of rubber. So far so good.

You definately have a sure-grip.

} get two strips of rubber. So far so good. If I have the truck cornering
} hard (and I mean *really* hard), the inside rear tire comes up, and just
} spins uselessly with no power getting to the ground at all. After a

There is a spec for the preload of the clutch pack in the sure-grip.
Lift only one rear wheel off the ground and use a torque wrench to
measure how hard it is to turn the wheel that is in the air. Spec is
between 30 and 200 ft-lbs. This requires a special tool to locate the
torque wrench at the center of the axle, not at a lug nut. You could
either fabricate a tool or mathematically calculate the torque at at the
lug nut. This is a very wide specification, 200/30 is almost a torque
range of 7 to 1. I haven't measured mine, but it locks up at a touch of
the gas pedal. In town when turning pulling away from a stop sign I
have to take it *very* easy to keep from squealling. The more torque
that is applied to the rear end the tighter the clutch pack tries to
lock the rear wheels together, but if one wheel is in the air then there
is only the preload tension on the clutch. Mine will keep power to both
wheels under very low traction situations like backing up, uphill, in
mud.

} second or so of being dead in the water (and bouncing off the rev.
} limiter a couple of times), the inside tire comes down with a driveline
} wrenching bang/squeal, and things get underway again. Same thing happens
} if I try to "spin" the truck around under power at more than 10-15 mph
} (the unloaded tire seems to get all the power, rather than both tires so
} I can spin the truck around). Is this the way that suregrip works on
} these trucks?? I'm use to a torsen limited slip in my Supra which works
} at any speed and I can easly "spin" the car around with power.

I think your problem is keeping the wheels on the ground. I don't
normally spin it on dry pavement, but I've had it come loose and start
to come around under full throttle in 2nd. I have a 2WD (3" lower than
a 4WD) with a Addco rear anti-sway bar. I also have the 2000 pound rear
springs and stiffer front shocks (KYB).

Frank Ball 1UR-M frankb@sr.hp.com (707) 794-4168 work
Hewlett Packard (707) 794-3038 fax (707) 538-3693 home
1212 Valley House Drive Kawi KDX200, Yamaha XT350 YZF600R Seca 750
Rohnert Park CA 94928-4999 '95 Dakota SLT Club Cab V8 5-Speed 2WD