Timing, EGR & PS Problems in '92

From: cvuxton@erols.com
Date: Wed Jul 16 1997 - 17:49:39 EDT

I have a black '92 Club cab, 2 wheel drive, 5 speed, 3.9L, AC, power steering equipped
beast. I also have three problems which are driving me nuts.

First. Seting the timing. I follow the instructions in the Chilton's manual but the mark
jumps all over the place as I try to turn the distributor. I finally set it by ear but
this can't be right. Do I have to short out some sensor? Is there some trick?

Two. The check engine light is on. A scan of the brain says the EGR solinoid is bad.
The book says the solinoid is in a bank of three on the fender well, valve cover,
or firewall (depending on the book or whom I talk to). Not. I don't see anything that
looks like a solinoid anywhere in this engine compartment. I replaced the EGR valve
assembly once (it was a melted blob). Is the solinoid part of the assembly behind the
distributor?

And three. The power steering seems hard to turn when at a stop or going slowly,
and going at speed. We're not talking really hard like regular steering but it does
seem to be laboring. The fluid level is OK but beyond that I don't know how to check.
Any ideas?

I appreciate any help anyone can provide on any and/or all these problems.
This truck is great. Hauls anything I put in it and doesn't even groan. I'd like to
keep it into the next century.

Thanks, Chris Vuxton
         (__) ,---------. NOTE: The preceding message was sent via Jaek and
         (oo) | :\/: _ _ \ Jon's WWW mail cow gateway. That is to say, the
  /-------\/_/ : :: :: : ) person who sent this message could in fact be an
 / | MAIL|| \_ ' '`-'`-'/ anonymous prankster. Even though this message was
* ||"" || \__________/ mailed to you from the cs.fredonia.edu domain, it
   ^^ ^^ could have been generated by anyone in the world.
Please keep this in mind. Thank you! --Jaek (smit2204) and -Jon- (stei0302)