Re: Your Idea's

From: Sean Meldrum (spm@c3net.net)
Date: Sun Jul 27 1997 - 13:21:37 EDT

At 01:29 AM 7/27/97 -0400, you wrote:

>I don't recommend any version of the Performance throttle bodies at all.
Listen
>to what Jules has said...performance(ET) gains will not be seen without
>serious mods to your induction system(heads or extrude honing the
>intake).Believe me, I know...I spent the 450.00 dollars to prove this! In my
>opinion, money well spent is underdrive pulleys, K&N FPK then exhaust mods.

        Couldn't agree more here. John, if you can fly that Ultralight you can
probably do a home port and polish on your throttle body and get the off
idle improvement.

>Get the SBEC if it is availible. The Crower 1.7 Rockers are about 450.00
>depending were you get them. By the rockers, not the TB.

        The rocker make sense for the extra lift vs. work involved for
installation but if my memory is correct, the cam gives better lift
numbers. Agreed, the duration specs are very similar to stock but this is
required to stay compatible with the OBDII. Too much duration would alter
idle quality and the computer would have a fit. Personally I think both
mods are WAY too overpriced.

>Get the new
>ignition stuff if you are approaching tuneup time. I have tried this stuff.
>So far that stuff doesn't do a Darn thing( NO PERFORMANCE JTEC). I have
>10800 miles on my truck and still tried the HP wires and ignitions. Once
>again, in my opinion a fancy ignition will make a motor run more smoothly
>and slightly more efficient but the combustion might be so good that it may
>cause a lean condition(at certain RPM's) in which your stock fuel curve may
>not keep up with. People say....I COULD FEEL SEAT OF THE PANTS DIFFERENCE.
>When was the last time their butt was calibrated?

        My butt actually IS calibrated. ;^) I DID get an increase from the Moroso
wires. May not have been in acceleration but the truck definitely seems to
not have to work as hard. MSD gave the same improvement but not as
noticable. Increased gap will probably add a little more.....as this
change was done by a fellow DML member and a slight gain was felt.

>I used My VERICOM to prove this stuff.

        What are these going for now? Any opinion on the new G-Tech offering?

I'm waiting for a new M1 intake to come
>out. I know of a shop that will modify a current M1 (its a carb version)
>single plane for use with MPI. This is Pricey but I was informed, with the
>right combinations, it will nearly outperform the superchargers. That is
>somthing to think about. I know I have been.

        This mod IS on my list of coming attractions. What would a new M1 offer?
Direct fit for the fuel injection? The carb version would probably be
better for nitrous applications

Just my 2 cents.

*******************************97 Dakota Sport*******************************
  sean meldrum

                  Work: sean_p_meldrum@auto.ittind.com

Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/7875/

 Black, 318, 5spd, 3.55SG, reg. cab, 2wd, buckets
All exterior vinyl graphics removed
"Fresh air by Meldrum"
"Pilone Throttle Body"
Moroso Blue Max plug wires and Spectre looms
DynoMax Race Magnum Welded. 3" in/out, exiting before axle.
MSD 6A & Blaster 2 coil w/ chrome cover
Pioneer DEH-435 CD Receiver
****