Re: Rear Diff question

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Mon Jul 28 1997 - 15:30:57 EDT

----------
> From: JT McBride <James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM>
> To: dakota@ait.fredonia.edu
> Subject: Re: Rear Diff question
> Date: Wednesday, July 23, 1997 11:21 AM
>
> > Yesterday I noticed a slight whine from my
> >trucks rear diff., and confirmed it was that and not

        UPDATE:

        After $450.00 dollars, it has been repaired. Here's
the scoop:

        The whine was bearing related; the outside bearing
'holder' had localized 'spalling'. The contact point for the bearing
was 'burnt/scored' in a 1" section. Cause? Possible defect from
the factory was the mechanic's thought, but not 100% certain. The
fluid was fine, and the gearset was okay too. Replaced the bearings
($95), and replaced the fluid, added the additive for the limited-slip.
Went ahead and had them replace the transmission fluid too (as
it was never changed). The fluid was the Mopar Manual transmission
fluid ($15.75 a qt!!!). Calls to all the local dealers, and Mopar
performance
came back with "Don't change the manual transmission fluid, it isn't
necessary". Too late, so $47.25 later and it was replaced.

        No whining from the diff. anymore, and all is well (except
my wallet). I kept the bearings & parts, and want to send them to
CC to get their ideas on why this happened. All of the bearing
'holders' or whatever they are called, have unusual wear patterns...
Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky...

        Sam '95 SLT