Rear Diff question

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Wed Jul 23 1997 - 11:07:26 EDT

        Yesterday I noticed a slight whine from my
trucks rear diff., and confirmed it was that and not
transmission noise by driving fwy speed, and going
into neutral (no load on the trans). I have a shell with
no carpet kit (only a thick bed mat), so the sound it
quite loud in the shell. I took it to a guy that does
rear ends/transfer cases (they did my '69 jeep
recently), and had a guy go with me in a test drive.
He concluded (without opening it up) that it 'sounds'
like rear bearings, as it is not load sensitive which
would point to the rear gears. He pointed out that
at the point where the driveshaft attaches to the
rear diff. that there's a slight seeping of fluid, but
not a leak. He said this is a common sign of
overheated bearings (and a looming failure). They
are going to look at it on Thursday, and for now
I have the truck parked at home. The rear has
never been opened up (which is what Dodge
recommends), and the fluid (via the finger in the
hole test) looked good, and wasn't foamy. Any
thoughts????

Sam '95 SLT Dakota
http://www.users.cts.com/king/s/samp/