hot while idleing

From: Michael Clark (mclark@wt.net)
Date: Tue Jul 29 1997 - 13:05:20 EDT

I've got a 180 thermostat which works great. The temp gauge is usually
just a hair over the lowest mark by the "C". However I have noticed
that if I set and idle the engine with the a/c on (in hot weather) the
guage will rise, once it got just past the half way mark. I know that
its normal for an engine to heat up in idleing conditions like stop and
go traffic and such but should it get so hot so quick (about 10 min)?
It also *seems* to be sporatic, next day I was in a parking lot waiting
on someone for about 10 min. same conditions and outside temps, and the
gauge *barely* moved at all. When it does this, when I hit the road it
drops back to normal very quickly, I guess the air flow does this?
Could my fan clutch be getting weak and not blowing enough air? I have
just recently drained and flushed the cooling system, could my ratio of
antifreeze/water make a differance? What about a hi-flow tstat? Oh,
yeah, I do not have the heavy duty cooling option...

Any thoughts, or should I even be concerned?

--
Michael Clark            mike@snakebite.com
     '93 Mark III 4X2 V-8 SWB RC auto