RE: Honda engines & NHTSA

From: Mark Seagondollar (segndolr@us.ibm.com)
Date: Wed Aug 06 1997 - 17:21:32 EDT

>2) I just got a response back from my Internet note to NHTSA about the
>non-retracting seatbelts, along with a release request that I allow them to
>contact the manufacturer. Anybody else interested in seeing the seatbelt
>retractor work?

Yes, I am interested. To me it is more of a nuisance than a safety factor,
because
It is not difficult to make sure the belt is fitting properly before I drive
off. It's also a
matter of principle - it seems that this is a true design defect. Can you fill
me in on
the NHTSA business?

 - Paul Schelling
  SchellinPM@corning.com

Paul -

Here's the original posting I sent to the list when I found the NHTSA site:

When I got in the truck this morning, I did my habitual fasten-the-seatbelt,
open-the-door, pull-the-seatbelt-slack-out-of-the-door routine. When I did
this, I thought of the impact (pun intended) of what would happen if I didn't.
About a foot of slack pinched by the door gives way, and driver/passenger meets
windshield in accident. I have heard from others on the list, in the past,
complain about the retractors ("the rarest Dakota - one whose seatbelts
automatically retract"). When I mentioned it in a warranty service, the dealer
said: "Yeah, some of them can be leisurely about retracting, we'll replace them
free of charge." They took my truck for a day, got very little accomplished,
and found reasons for me to give them more money. I wasn't real pleased
(nothing to really complain to Chrysler or Dodge about) and haven't bothered to
go back. I now have over 90,000 mi. on my 94 CC and no other real gripes, but
the seatbelt thing started to bother me. I went to the NHTSA site, and found a
form that allows me to file a complaint

(http://www-nsa.nhtsa.dot.gov/voq_form.shtml)

and let them know about it. I want to continue to feel as good about my truck
as I do, and suggest you do also. Besides, it really annoys me when I get back
to the truck in the rain, and find the section that goes across my lap is
hanging out of the door and dripping wet.

This made me think of Arlo Guthrie's line in "Alice's Restaurant": "And if two
people do it...."