Re: Questions From A Newbie

From: Sean Meldrum (spm@c3net.net)
Date: Sun Aug 10 1997 - 19:54:10 EDT

At 08:18 PM 8/10/97 +0000, you wrote:
>So the manual transmission would only be good for highers speeds?.
>Auto's are generally always better for drag racing?. I'm curious, no
>drag strips here, the occasional race from about 50-60 mph on. I
>personally would prefer an auto most of the time (easier on tires)
>but for the extra cost I can get more options with the truck. what is
>the difference in 1/4 times between auto's and 5-speeds, I thought
>the manual's where faster by the times motor trend and other magazine
>write up on?
>It takes a mopar to catch a mopar:-)
>
>Steve Clarke 94 Dakota V-6, 5-Speed
>sclarke@cancom.net Alpine
> soon to be a 98 I hope:-)

        With today's electronic automatics there would really be little difference
between times. Both should definitely be equal for top speeds; the only
downfall of the auto being a possible downshift at full throttle. And I'm
not sure that even this isn't protected against.

The limiting factor on 1/4 times is traction and shifting skills. The auto
shifts much quicker and the slightly lower (numerically) first gear helps
with wheelspin. If you were really skilled at powershifting and were
running DOT's or slicks you'd probably take an auto out of the hole but not
gain any more than your initial head start.

I remember reading an article a few years back about the new (whatever year
it was) Corvette. The 1/4 times were like one or two tenths apart with the
stick being the slighty quicker of the two. Motor Trend's 1/4 mile
numbers are probably good for comparison between vehicles and that's about
all. Those guys don't beat on the vehicles as hard as say Car Craft or
Mopar Muscle type magazines.

If it were me, if you don't mind shifting yourself, save the close to $1000
you'd spend on the automatic and get some other options. 4WAL and the
power convenience package or sumthin'. Just my $0.02.