Re: Thorley's are done...

From: Glenn & Lynn Vanderburg (vanderbu@silk.net)
Date: Sun Aug 17 1997 - 20:41:34 EDT

This I will have to remember for one of my next projects after I gather
enough money to replace the stock exhaust system.
Glenn

----------
From: KARL MOLTZAN <kmoltzan@mymail.net>
To: spm@c3net.net
Cc: dakota@ait.fredonia.edu
Subject: Re: Thorley's are done...
Date: Saturday, August 16, 1997 7:54 PM

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997 14:32:38 -0400 Sean Meldrum <spm@c3net.net>
wrote:

>At 10:07 AM 8/16/97 -0700, you wrote:
>>I see allot of you use Doug Thorley Headers for your Dakota's are
they any
>>better than any other brands? Are they the same ones you get
through the
>>dealer? Are they just the best priced ones?
>>Are all headers created equal?
>>Glenn.
>>

> The Doug Thorley's are a Tri-Y design. 2 pairs of primarys
are run
>into 2
>collectors, and then those two collected pairs are joined into the
final
>collector. Good torque producing design. Not necessarily the best
for
>flat out racing but I don't see anyone offering full length headers
for
>Daks. The closer you get to a full length header with the primary
pipe's
>size optimized for your particular combination, the more power
you'll make.

>They're not necessarily better or worse. Just depends on what
you're
>looking for. Mopar headers *were* made by Thorley. Not sure who
does 'em
>now. Not bad price considering you get a better Y-pipe with them.
>Shorties would require use of the dinky stock Y-pipe or a custom
bent unit.

>All headers are *not* created equal....8^)
>
> Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/7875/
>
> Black, 318, 5spd, 3.55SG, reg. cab, 2wd, buckets,
>No graphics, GTS HLC, FABM, PTB, Blue Max wires, MSD 6A
>Blaster 2, DynoMax Race Magnum, Pioneer DEH-435

Tri-ys make more torque and horsepower than other designs up to
5500 rpm. Our magum engines fall off above 5200 so the Doug Thorleys
are best for us.

                92 CC 4X2 5.2L 4/5RT(stock cam)
                   1.7Crower, Electric Fans
                     DTs,Jacobs Omnipac