Thorley's are done...

From: Michael Clark (mclark@wt.net)
Date: Sat Aug 16 1997 - 04:02:30 EDT

Ok let's recap: Started yesterday morning at 4:30am and worked
straight trhough until tonight at 12:30am. 20 hours of pure hell but
finally after all this time (excuse my French...) 'EM SUMBICHES IS
ON...!!

I'll spare the list a long boring synopses, but if you want to know the
details keep an eye on my web page. I'll post the whole story and pics
in a few weeks... (didn't get many good pics..)

I didn't have time to drive around much tonight, just a few miles to
make sure everything was working like it should so I don't know about
performance yet. But when I fired the truck up, it sounded like a
different engine almost. The best way I can describe the sound change
is before with stock manifolds it sounde like a V8. Now it sounds like
a "well refined" V8. The headers really "cleaned up" the sound. Before
the flowmaster had a kinda loud resonance at around 1500rmp or so, not
anymore. The tone is mellow with a strong underlying presence of power
--boy have I been up too long--... Also on decel the "bubbling" or
blurbleing sound is gone, just a smooth vrooooooom. To tell the truth I
think the exhaust is quieter now with the headers, but what sound it
does make is so controlled and tuned... Maybe tommorow when my SBEC
gets settled again I can relate more to the performance side.....

I think I may start looking at heat shielding for my wires. What are
these headers made of, plutonium??? They throw a crap load of heat into
the engine compartment (that is a technical term...) I think I need
some decals on my hood saying open by the edges to avoid being burned by
escaping heat ;_)

Well that's about all for toinight. Just want to say thanks to all the
guys who helped me with my questions and offered encouragement. Oh yeah
Sam, NO clearance problems with stearing shaft, got about 1 inch space
between it and the header. Been up now for 40 hours straight so i'm
going to sleep, for a looong time.

And this time I mean it...... ;^)

--
Michael Clark            mike@snakebite.com