Re: dakota headers

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Mon Aug 18 1997 - 18:49:12 EDT

----------
> From: dmagnum@ccs.netside.com
> To: dakota@ait.fredonia.edu
> Subject: Re: dakota headers
> Date: Monday, August 18, 1997 02:21 PM
>
> Sam Parthemer wrote:
> >
> > ----------
> > >
> > > 15.05 is not bad for a Cinderblock on wheels. It's no 426 Hemi
either.
> > But for a 96
> > > SB, Auto, 3.90 Axle, Modified exhaust with gibson catback(this we can
> > agree on),
> > > Crower 1.7 rockers, Transgo shift kit, and BFG Drag radials I did
beat a
> > 84 Vette.
> > > Don't ask me how, he probobly couldn't drive. My exact pass specs for
> > that run was
> > > 15.084 at 88.6MPH with a 60 foot of 2.14 and reaction of .534.
> > >
> > > I'm eager to know what your Dakota runs...also, what you have done
and
> > the reasons
> > > why you chose certain performance products. This is why I subscribed
> > the DML.
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > STAN
> > > dmagnum@mail.netside.com
> >
> > Stan, my '95 Club Cab, 4x2, 3.90, sure-grip (the way it's
listed on my
> > option
> > sheet), has run a best of:
> > reaction 60' 330 ' 1/8th
1/4 mi

S-----------------|-------------------|---------------------1/2-------------

> > ------------|------------------------F
> > 0.617 2.465 6.592 9.97 15.424
> > 72.2 mph
90.42 mph

> > This was accomplished with tons of wheel spin off the line, about .5
> > seconds worth
> > on my shifts to 2nd, and a chirp into 3rd.... I shift from 3rd to 4th
at
> > the 1/8th mile
> > mark, and my speed goes from 72.2-90.42 in that last bit (18.22 mph)...
> > Given
> > another hundred feet it would be over 100 mph...The pulling doesn't
start
> > until
> > around 91-92 mph (butt dyno). Give the fact you have a SB vs. a club
cab,
> > you
> > are looking at a 400# difference, and you are running BFG Drag radials.
> > did this
> > with BFG AT tires!!! (215-75-15's). Of all my runs, the 3rd-4th is the
> > killer...A little
> > late, and my times are 'ok'-- higher mph, a little too soon and my
times
> > are slower,
> > and slower mph... I 'only' have K&N FIPK, MP SBEC, and 3" CAT back
> > exhaust,
> > and DT headers... I went against another Dakota (stock except for 3"
CAT
> > back
> > and MP SBEC)... His best was 15.8 @ 88.7 mph... He was running wider
> > tires
> > (size unknown)... Just curious, have you had your truck dyno'd???
Maybe
> > you
> > have a rare hp output (*higher than stock-- each truck is different).
> >
> > I put out 212 hp and 277Ft.# of torque to the ground...
> >
> > Sam '95 SLT Dakota
> > http://www.users.cts.com/king/s/samp/
>
> Hey Sam,
>
> My CAPS LOCK button is off. My keyboard was not screaming. I was just to
lazy to turn
> it off. Sorry. My truck weighs 3780 with me not in it and a 1/2 tank of
gas. I weigh
> 188. According to the Drag analyzer, Im making 228 HP And just under 300
FT LBS of
> torque. My Vericom says 253.44 Peak (at the shift point). I have called
the Magnum
> teck line to see what my cam specs were. They informed me of an increase
in duration
> over previous years and a slight increase in cam advancement for OBD II
> specifications. This sure explains why my truck is good out of the hole
but falls off
> at the top end. My truck ran a 15.28 completely stock at NYIRP Lecester
NY with only
> a K&N and pulleys. That is it. My 60 was 2.299. But it was 60 degrees
out! My stock
> stall is 2000. Then I installed a MP R/T exhaust only. Time was
15.26....what a
> waste of money. Thats when I took off the stock Y-pipe and used a 93
Model which is
> alot bigger. This seemed to raise the power band from around 4400 to 4800
or so.
> Gibson is better for all out Racing but not necessarily fuel economy. Ive
been told I
> have a rare one. I don't believe it. I cannot MPH at the top end like you
guys can.
> My ET improved but my MPH DRopped at least 1 MPH from stock. Who knows if
a HP
> Computer (JTEC will work). Not one availible. No substitute for CID. I am
doing a
> swap in a month or so with the help of a friend in Va. who has done this
> successfully. Im going there this weekend to finalize the purchase of a
95 360 and
> drink a few beers then Vericom his 5.9L Dakota. I will let you know if it
puts skid
> marks in my shorts like he says it does....But then again....this man has
owned and
> raced B1 motors.......
>
> Stan
> dmagnum@mail.netside.com

        My Dakota weighs in at 4100#, so about 320 difference (not 400#). I do
have a
shell on it too (which is not part of the 4100#, so another 150-170# for
the shell).
I don't have access to the Drag Analyzer, could I give you some info about
my truck so you could plug in some numbers for me?? With my 212 to the
ground,
it should be roughly 260 hp...338 # torque at the flywheel.

        Let me know,