Re: [Fwd: Re: '93 Dodge Dakota PTM]

From: WillTier@aol.com
Date: Tue Sep 02 1997 - 20:36:29 EDT

<< I'm sure I'll open myself to plenty of abuse from Will, et al, but
 the Ford enthusiasts have it all over the Chrysler enthusiasts as far
 as hacking their engine controllers is concerned. Half the traffic
 over on Fordnatics was about kludging the EEC.

   What I'd like to know is whether or not it would be possible to
 do the same with the Chrysler SBEC. >>

>From my experiences with the Mopar computers is that no one can or is willing
to due to difficulty crack the mopar computers. I had a problem similar to
Jarrods, I needed the rev limiter raised on the stock computer. I got a name
and number of a cracker jack computer man who was working with nos to be able
to use NOS on 94 and newer mopars. No help but gave me another name, No help
but he gave me another name ect. ect. No help I did get to MSD and find a
successful setup to retard the timing of the Mopar SBEC which has a higher
rev limiter. No one could even crack just raising the rev limiter on the
stock computer. Recenetly I talked with NOS about NOS for newer vehicles and
the said that the Mopar stuff is a stumbling block and that they were working
on a complete new computer but that it was time consuming and expensive and
they did not know how far they would go with it. Mopar computers, as I
understand it, are ancient compared to other manufactures but they still
can't crack them ?????????????????

Bill