Re: Trailer Pulling

From: Dick Campagna (campagna@nothinbut.net)
Date: Thu Sep 04 1997 - 20:37:12 EDT

Corky wrote -
> > > A 25' 5th wheel and only 4,800 lb loaded?????? Man, it must be made
of
> > > tissue paper. I have a 21' Wilderness and dry gross is 4010 lb, GVWR
is
> > > 5800. Loaded with what, helium?? If true I'll get one! Corky
> > >

> Sounds like a great rig. I did go to their site and like the 25' plan.
> Sent for info. Does 7" make it feel like the walls are closing in on
> you? Corky

No, it doesn't feel like *. . . the walls are closing in.* In addition to
it having a light-colored interior decor, you should know that my previous
RVs included two small pop-ups which we towed with a Dodge Dart and
(current) Acura Integra (we still have one, which we spent three weeks in
last year on a 6,700 mile/3-week trip from NJ to AZ & return); two small
travel trailers (13' and 15'), which we towed with a VW Rabbit and a Chev
Malibu wagon; and a Class C motorhome (which we bought at government
auction for $1,100, didn't use it, and ended up getting a nice tax
deduction by donating it to charity). We've also rented a 30' Class A
motorhome. I retired in June at the age of 54-1/2 and, after a lot of
research (plus we've been camping for 30 years), decided on a 5th wheeler
because of its practicality and stability when towing. I originally planned
on a 30 footer and a full-size truck, but, at my wife's suggestion, decided
to down-size, since, as hikers and lovers of the outdoors, we never did
really spend much time *inside* our rigs. And, by downsizing the RV, we
could downsize the truck. And, by downsizing both, that downsized the
amount of money we needed to spend! Therefore, this led us to the Dakota
and a compatible, very well equipped trailer, which ended up being the
Shadow Cruiser . . . a very aerodynamic unit which should be a good match
for the '98 Dakota/SLT/Club Cab/V8/5-speed/HD everything/White w/Driftwood
we will order within the next few months. I'll keep the group posted on
our Dakota's performance and will continue to ask for suggestions. Happy
trails . . . .