Re: Which payload option to buy?

From: Jack Snodgrass (dakota@cybermail.net)
Date: Fri Sep 05 1997 - 03:12:00 EDT

>from Andy Callahan:
>

>Jack, I don't understand why you think the tire and handling package made
>you feel "every single bump." The only thing the tire and handling package
>gives you is wider wheels, bigger tires, and a rear sway bar. Are you
>saying that the tires caused the bumpy ride? I drove a V6 CC w/out tire
>and handling package before I ordered my truck. I got the tire and
>handling package on my truck and I think it rides just as good or better
>than the CC I drove without the T & H package. I'm a little confused.
>Please clarify.

    Don't know what to say. All I know is that I drove a 97 Dak, V8, CC,
2WD with the Tire and Handling package off the lot and my wife and I
hated it. I had it all weekend and put 250 miles on it. The ride was
very, very, very rough. The 35 mile drive to work was not enjoyable. I
would have bought the truck for the v8. I was really, really worried if
I was about to make a mistake. The ride was really really bad. Every
expansion joint in the pavement was felt if your butt as you rode over
it.

    We could not come to an agreement on the price of the truck so I
didn't purchase it. I then found a similarly equiped truck in a better
color and without the tire and handling package. It was $1200 less and
I bought it. I love it.

    I have always assumed that the tire and handling package was the
reason the ride was rougher. It may have been a problem with the truck.
There was no 'shimmy' or vibration... you could just feel every bump,
crack, surface, etc in the pavement in the seat of your pants. It
wasn't just me... my wife and I discussed this in great detail as
she tried to ask me... do you really want this truck?

    Anyway... we both like the ride in the new truck. Don't take my
word as gospel. I hope that there was a problem with the truck I didn't
get. I'd hate to think that it was a 'normal' ride.

    Good luck.

Jack Snodgrass - jack@cybermail.net
   '97 Dakota SLT+ CC, 2w, V8, auto, Fresh air by Meldrum