Re: Dakota Drive Shaft Clunk

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Thu Sep 18 1997 - 11:42:12 EDT

At 09:24 AM 9/18/97 EDT, you wrote:
>>Is this right? There seems to be a clunking noise coming from the
>>rear-end occasionally when I'm shifting gears, not all the time though.
>>Is this normal for a truck,perhaps driveline slack? I can't say the gas
>>
>>Terry
>>98 Sport Reg Cab
>>V8 5SPD 3.91SG
>>

>Terry,
>
>I have a '96 auto with the 3.55SG. I started to notice rear-end clunk
>at about 10K miles. I took it to the dealer and they said "normal
>backlash", but I have it documented. Now I have 24K and it's still
>there but I don't think it got any worse... it just annoys me when I
>hear it. On the auto it's very noticeable when shifting between D
>and R while stopped, and also while coasting over bumps at slow speeds
>(you can hear that rattling/slapping noise of the extra slack in the
>rear).
>
>I'm gonna take it back to the dealer again before the warranty is up.
>Maybe I should take it to a shop for a second opinion first; to have
>more ammo for the dealer. My only fear is if the dealer agrees to
>fix it, then screws it up worse (that can't happen, can it!). I know
>adjusting the backlash is tricky.
>
>Rich

Gents:

I'ts not worth pursuing. I checked with two dealers here (plus my regular
mechanic) when I noticed the clunking on my '97. It is normal in all Dodge
trucks and particularly noticable in the Dakota. I also get a periodic
clunk out of the front drive shaft, particularly when going over speed
bumps. If you grab the drive shaft and twist it, you can make it
clunk....probably should try this when parked :).

My '78 3/4 ton used to clunk as well. I had a shift kit in the trans and
it was particulary noticable on a slow downhill shift from first to second.