Re: Drag Racing

From: acasey@io.com
Date: Mon Sep 22 1997 - 10:22:13 EDT

> Did you catch the post I made a while back about unhooking the MSD and
> gaining my performance back ? I had not been able to run what I had run
> before installing the MSD so about 3 weeks ago I went to the drags and made 3
> runs with the MSD and 2 without (gained 1/2 to 3/4 tenth with stock ignition)
> hooked MSD back up and made 2 runs (1 was not as bad as other but the truck
> set for about 45 minutes between runs where almost all others were about 15
> minutes apart) then went back to stock and run over 1 tenth better than best
> compareable run with the MSD hooked up. I sent them a fax a couple of days
> later but to date no reply. They are pretty easy to swap, try yours both ways
> at the drags and see what happens ???
>
> Bill

Yea I caught your post. That is strange. I also remember reading
that some daks ran slower using the Jacobs ignition. I wonder why
this happens.

The best I was able to run without my MSD was 15.2 with good traction
up at Ennis's "Texas MotorPlex" this summer. The best I could get
at TAD was a 15.3, not so good traction. The Best I have run at
Ennis with the MSD was a 14.995 at 90 and the best I have run at TAD
with the MSD is a 14.8 at 91.6.

 Saturday I went out to TAD, I got there late so I only got 3 time
trials.

The first one I screwed up the launch, spun the tires, got a
lousy 2.3 60' time and a 15.3 et.

Second run, respectable launch, 2.2 60' time and a 15.0 et.

Third run, major choke, 2.3 launch, the back end starts hoping, when
it does that I can't shift into 2nd, I have to jam 3rd, line up the
syncros, then shift back to second. Needless to say all this
screwing around netted me a lightning 15.8 .

Then it time for eliminations, I dialed in a 15.3 since I was
obviously not having a consistant night. The first run was against a
Masda, He left first, I got a terrible .995 reaction time (I hate
going second), anyway I caught him about mid-track, then stayed just
in front for the win. The second run put me against a 15.1 Ford
Lightning., I let off right before the line, he passed me and broke
out with a 15.0, I got a 15.375. On the 3rd run I got the red light,
&#@*!!!. Oh well.

I am sure I could have run a 14.9 If I would have run flat out on a
good launch. I wonder why my truck seems to run faster with the MSD
than without.

Next time I go I will disconnect the MSD and try some
back to back comparisons.

Good luck with your dealings with MSD. I know how disapointing it is
when you spend good money on a mod and get no or a negative return.

Alan...