Re: Rear End/NV3500 Lube

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Wed Oct 08 1997 - 12:39:43 EDT

> the swap, I have no leaks and no extra noise, so it seems OK. Anyone
> else used this stuff? This is the first Mobil 1 product I've used,
> and was sufficiently impressed. Compared to the mineral oil stern
> drive lubes I've used, it was almost clear and didn't have as much
> sulfur additive, so didn't stink anywhere near as much.

        I just went through the follow the dealership's advise on the
8 1/4" rear end with sure grip, no need to replace fluid unless submerged
in water. Burned up the bears at 66000 miles. They replaced the rear
end fluid with Red Line synthetic, then added the 'limited slip diff'
additive
that Chrysler calls out for. I'll be changing the fluid every 30000 now.

> Next on the list: my NV3500 5-speed. The manual indicates that
> a (presumably expensive and only at the dealer) Mopar lube is the
> only approved fill for the NV3500. Anyone know why? I'll use it
> if I have to, but would prefer moving to a full synthetic if possible.
>
> Has anyone used anything other than the Mopar lube in their NV3500?
>
> Ron

        The transmission shop was going to put in redline, but when they
found out from Chysler Corp. about the NV3500 proprietary fluid that they
recommend. The transmission shop felt it would be best not to screw up
something not-using the manufacture's recommend stuff, so that's what
they used. $15.75 a QUART!!! and your transmission takes 3.5-4 quarts.

        My total bill for the bearings, new fluid in rear end, new fluid in
transmission ran me $465.93... OUCH....

        Sam '95 SLT Dakota
http://www.users.cts.com/king/s/samp/