Auto vs 5-spd; was Re: 1998 Dakota R/T (question about the R/T!)

From: Dick Campagna (campagna@nothinbut.net)
Date: Thu Oct 09 1997 - 11:50:20 EDT

----------
> From: Lord Foul <lordfoul@Xccessone.com>
> To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
> Subject: Re: DML: 1998 Dakota R/T (question about the R/T!)
> Date: Thursday, October 09, 1997 12:02 AM
>
> what do you have against autos??
>
> Rupert Horn wrote:
>
> > At 08:21 AM 10/8/97 -0700, you wrote:
> > <snip>
> > I was told that the R/T would only be availiavble in automatic, and I
> > >immediately decided this truck was not for me. Has anyone heard this,
and
> > if
> > >it is true, why would Chrysler do such a thing?
> > >just curious,
> > >Geoffrey Hausheer
> > >Intel Corp.
> > >Hillsboro, OR
> > -I to had read this.
> > If it can't be had w/a manual transmission then it won't git got by me.
> > Would never even consider buying any car/truck w/an automatic.

Lord Foul - I'll tell you what "I" have against auto(matic)s vs 5-speed
stick trannies: Autos cost more initially ($$$); they cost more in the long
run (generally higher fuel bill, repairs & maintenance); fewer gears than a
5-speed (except in certain high-priced imports) mean less versatility to
handle heavy load conditions; not as effective when driving on snow/ice;
less fun to drive (for those of us who like to shift for ourselves; autos
are more likely to be stolen (ask my son, whose business truck was saved
because the crook who jumped in couldn't drive stick-shift. He saw it
happen and said it was funny!); generally slower acceleration than a
5-speed stick, unless you modify it; they enable you to divert your
attention from the driving process by allowing you to spend too much time
on your cellular phone <G>; under certain heavy load conditions (like
pulling a trailer up a hill), you have to floor it to make it downshift;
and, most importantly, they enable really old/senile people . . . and
certain others . . . to keep on driving long past when they should stop.
The only advantage to an automatic is that it enables you to drive without
shifting. Oh, I'll defend your right to own one. After all, driving with
one doesn't make you a bad person <G>!

Dick (& Geri) Campagna, Mt Laurel, NJ campagna@nothinbut.net
(Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni. Grazie!)