Re: Wed Nite Drags with Jon

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 11 1997 - 02:44:55 EDT

At 09:52 PM 10/10/97 -0400, Dick Campagna wrote:
>----------
>> From: Jon Steiger <stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu>
>> To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
>> Subject: Re: DML: Wed Nite Drags with Jon
>> Date: Friday, October 10, 1997 4:05 AM
>>
>> At 06:46 PM 10/9/97 -0400, WillTier@aol.com wrote:
>
>(snipped discussion about drag racing)
>
>Hey guys . . . Sports Compact Car magazine had a great article earlier this
>year on the fine points about drag racing. They discussed early and late
>staging and other details, including proper technique. Did you know that
>your posted speed is actually your average speed through the traps,
>therefore your actual top speed is higher than the posted speed? One of
>the best things you can do is to improve your reaction time. That means
>practicing and being in good physical condition. The pro drivers use a
>practice "christmas tree." If one of the DML members is good with
>electrons, maybe they can make one? In the meantime, before you go to the
>drags, get plenty of sleep, don't drink (alcohol!), don't take drugs
>(illegal and certain legal ones), and don't eat a heavy meal before racing.
> Especially don't eat meat, which is hard to digest. Maybe someone can
>access the Sports Compact Car article and publicize the main points. Don't
>forget . . . it's not the one with the quickest ET and highest speed who
>wins. It's the one who gets to the finish line first!

   Hmmm, a friend of mine subscribes to that; maybe he'll have a copy.
I found a cool web site dedicated to drag racing. Lots of great info
there, and also practice tree that can run right off their page if you have
Internet Exploerer with ActiveX enabled. Pretty cool! :-) (Theres also a
commercial version that you can order.)

  The URL is: http://rconcepts.com/beard/

   Its called "The Staging Light"

  Definitely worth checking out. :-)

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.