Defroster control lobotomy

From: Frank Ball (frankb@cougar.sr.hp.com)
Date: Mon Nov 10 1997 - 14:33:31 EST

} Subject: Ventilation Control Removal - '95 CC
} From: Ned Worcester <nworcest@crossnet.org>
}
} Most modern vehicles, Dakota included, have the annoying habit of
} running the A/C compressor when the defog is on. Problem with that is
} that it builds up enough condensation on the A/C coil in the dash that
} it fogs up the windshield for the next few days. (Car makers always
} think they know exactly what we want)

It is also a pain when it is below freezing and there is frost on the
outside of the windshield and the engine is cold. Also I don't need the
AC on all the time everytime I need air going to the windshield. This
has been annoying me for some time now.

} The wiring diagram shows a switch on the defog button which parallels
} the A/C switch. I am trying to figure out how to disconnect the switch
} in the defog button, without disconnecting the A/C switch. That way
} when I want defog with A/C, I just push the A/C button.
}
} I have been able to remove the dash bezel, but cannot get the
} ventilation controls out to try to find the switch or wiring from the
} defog button. Neither the Haines or Chiltons manuals give any kind of
} help. So I'm turning to the collective guruness of DML.
}
} Anyone have any ideas?

It's been a while since this was asked, but ...

The factory service manual wiring diagram indicated that this AC
switching was done inside the "non-serviceable" heater/AC control unit in
the dash. There is no wire that can be cut outside of this unit to
defeat this "feature". The factory manual was of no help beyond this
point.

Well yesterday I decided I was going to "fix" it and I did. Here's how:
Remove the two screws holding the "kneecap smasher" under the steering
column and remove it. Remove the eight torx screws holding on the
dashboard panel and remove it. Remove the two screws holding in the
heater/AC control unit and slide it out of the dash. It will be
dangling by one cable, seven wires, and a bunch of vacuum lines.

There is a tab under the wiring connector. Push the tab and unplug the
wiring. There is a tab under the colored plastic anchor for the cable.
Push the tab and remove the cable. There are two silver colored screws
on top of the heater/AC control unit that hold in the vacuum switch
unit, where the offensive AC switch is located, but removing these
screws does not allow the vacuum switch to come free. Removing the
front bezel allows access only to the light bulbs, so don't bother. The
heater/AC control unit can be flipped upsidedown once the cable and
wires are removed. The vacuum switch unit can now be opened up.

WARNING! When you open this unit up there is a very real possibility
that small parts will go flying everywhere. This is not for the faint
of heart nor the mechanically inept. Make sure all four buttons are in
the out position (press two at once). Make sure the unit is upside down
and level. Pry up the tabs holding on the bottom cover starting at the
back and carefully remove the cover.

Behind the defrost button you can now see a metal clip that slides with
the button and makes contact on either side to engage the AC when the
button is pushed. Pop out this metal clip. Put all the other little
parts back in place and snap the cover back on. The end of the spring
loaded sliding piece that goes across the unit sticks out one end under
spring pressure and must be pushed in to get the cover on. Reassemble
everything else and enjoy the results.

Frank Ball 1UR-M frankb@sr.hp.com (707) 794-4168 work
Hewlett Packard (707) 794-3038 fax (707) 538-3693 home
1212 Valley House Drive Kawi KDX200, Yamaha XT350 YZF600R Seca 750
Rohnert Park CA 94928-4999 '95 Dakota SLT Club Cab V8 5-Speed 2WD