Re: Exhaust quote.

From: CNTRYSNGR (CNTRYSNGR@YadTel.Net)
Date: Mon Nov 10 1997 - 21:45:30 EST

DAVID A DI SANTI wrote:

> Would having an exhaust system without a catylytic converter be legal?
>
> Could you replace the Cat when you get tested for emmisions?
>
> Dave
I believe federal law states that you are prohibited from removing a
properly operating catalitic converter from a vehicle used on the road.
Either after 50,000 miles or a converter failure, you may replace the
converter. I think some pretty stiff fines are imposed to violators. I
have heard of some shops around here (NC) that have had fines of up to
$10,000 for removing converters in good working order. I don't know how
it's done in your state, but I would most likely believe it's pretty
much the same, if not worse. If you've already taken off the cat, I
would suggest replacing it at least with a high flow unit BEFORE I would
take it to be inspected. You never know what you may be in store for if
you let it go. It's better to be safe than sorry.