Re: Wiper blades

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 24 1997 - 09:25:37 EST

> This is not exactly Dakota specific, but it does deal with my Dakota.
>
> About a month ago, I sent my daughter out to wash the windshield of my
> Dak.
> She grabbed a bottle of cleaner, and did her thing. Turns out she used a
> product called Top Job (Proctor & Gamble) instead of glass cleaner. We
> finally got that straight after sending her out for the third time
> because there were streaks all over the windshield. A couple of days
> later, on a trip to Roanoke ( about 4.5 hours) in the rain, The wipers
> started depositing rubber on the windshield and of course with that,
> started getting great traction as they tried to wipe off the deposited
> rubber. I stopped and tried to clean off the rubber with Windex but was
> not very successful. After arriving in Roanoke, I got the rubber off the
> windshield with some household cleaner my sister had and then bought new
> windshield wipers. On the trip back to Norfolk - more rain - more rubber
> on the windshield from the new wipers. I called Proctor & Gamble and was
> assured that Top Job was safe to use on rubber products. I cleaned the
> rubber from the windshield with alcohol (did a good job)and followed the
> alcohol with window cleaner. I then bought new Bosh Micro-Thin blades
> and arms. Friday, on a trip back from Richmond - in the rain - the third
> set of blades started to deposit rubber on the windshield. The only
> other thing I can think of is the windshield washer fluid I'm using which
> is called 'Basic Blue' and is a pre-mix purchased from K-Mart which I've
> used before with no problems. The thought of acid rain also just occured
> to me, but I don't know.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I don't want to
> purchase new wipers everytime I drive for a couple of hours in the rain!
> Wayne
> RTKBA@juno.com
> 95 SLT, Extended Cab, 4X4, V6 Auto, K&N FIPK, Terminator Muffler,
> Autolite Double Platnums

I would look at the ingredient list of Top Job, just because they SAY it
isn't harmful to rubber doesn't mean it's true, if you like you could send
this list directly to me and I can tell you if any of the ingredients are
corrosive to rubber (I have had 3 years of chemistry, so I know a lot
about such things, and if I don't know about a particular ingredient I'll
find out for you), if I find any that are I'll also find out what you need
to neutralize it....

Bruce