Stereo

From: Carlo Difelice (Carlo.Difelice@digital.com)
Date: Fri Nov 28 1997 - 13:12:15 EST

        Hello All

        This is my first effort at posting a message to this group so any =
(reasonable) advice would be appreciated. I would like to take the =
opportunity to thank Jon Steiger and all of you who offer information =
here. I think we all show the new attitude of informed buyer and great =
taste in our choice of vehicles. Having slapped our accumulative backs I =
am looking for a little information on Audio upgrades in particular =
acoustics.
 I have purchased a 1997 4by with V8 and extended cab, at present I have =
installed a respectable head unit. I have good amps, x-overs and the =
wiring is done well. The needed information is about proper speaker =
installation. I have installed a pair of 1" tweeters in the door panels =
where the remote door locks would go. This sounds pretty good and is =
relatively immune to obstruction by the passenger not to mention looks =
almost stock. The factory door speakers have been replaced with 6" mids =
which bolt up nicely to the supplied brackets. The phase has been =
inverted in case you are wondering. I replaced the rear speakers with a =
pair of 8" mid subs I thought the cavity would be well suited for =
respectable bass. There was a very small amount of trimming needed to =
install them there but nothing a good Jig saw with a metal blade =
couldn't fix.=20
I am building a tuned port box to install a 10" sub for the real good =
bass to happen. The speaker I am using does need a fair volume to =
operate well so I will build a box which will run the entire length of =
the jumper area in back. The estimated size is 50" l.* 13" d.* 9" h. =
with a 3" by 5.5" deep tuned port and covered in matching cloth. I am =
probably going to pull the seats out and mount them to the top of the =
box. This I realize may reduce head room but it is after all only a =
passenger area with little leg room so to me it has been relinquished to =
children and storage area. =20
Here are the questions; The thought here was to have decent bass when =
the sub cabinet was not in use. I want to tighten the bass response in =
the cavity where the 8" mids are mounted. The speakers are designed for =
cabinets so what I am thinking needs to take place here is to seal the =
cavity up to tighten bass. The cavity is riddled with holes and I intend =
to close them off as best as possible to control leakage. This is by no =
means going to be simple any ideas? The next part is the resonance =
issue, the cavity is after all made of sheet metal not conducive to good =
tonal quality again any ideas? Also if anyone questions my math on the =
10" sub cabinet please feel free to offer your advice?

        Thanks in advance Carlo =20