3.90 vs 3.55 mpg and drivability

From: Jeff Lee (jlee@atlanta.nsc.com)
Date: Fri Dec 05 1997 - 17:13:26 EST

Ok... I know this discussion went by a few weeks ago.

What gas milage differences can I expect with a V8, 5spd, 3.90
anti-slip, vs a V8, 5spd, 3.55 anti-slip (98 Dak, Reg Cab, Short bed).

I've test driven the configurations above. It seemed to me that there
was a noticable difference in feel between the two. The 3.55 seemed to
drive a little more smoothly (shifting felt less jerky). Shifts with the
3.90 (primarily the lower gears) seemed kind of jerky with more engine
whine (reminded me of a BIG truck feel). The 3.90 seems to run about
2500 rpm higher at 70mph.

I'm not planning on pulling stumps or drag racing, and only occaisional
towing (a few times a year). I'm down to the decision of buying a 98 Dak
locally with a 3.90, or ordering with the 3.55 and other hard to find
goodies. Will I regret having a 3.90 from a drivability and milage
standpoint?

jeff
- Torn between wanttogetonenow! and orderandwaittogetwhatyouwant